[Beowulf] Intel Quad-Core or AMD Opteron

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Aug 24 07:49:36 PDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Li, Bo wrote:

> Doug have got many valuable points I think.
> The current application using MPI or OPENMP on a multi-core machine runs in simple SMP way, which means nearly nothing done for multi-core optimization. IMHO, at least multi-core processors equips with different internal inter-connection from general SMP system. We can put much data exchanging operations done on one socket and the external bandwidth can be used for any other threads.
> For SMP systems or multi-core systems, main memory bandwidth can be the critical bottle-neck. In some of my experiments, 8 cores can eat all of them and in extreme cases, 4 cores eat up and you can hardly find any improvement from 4 cores to 8 cores. In these conditions, data transferring should be planned well and done in an efficient.
> By the way, I prefer to use OPENMP on a SMP system and MPI between boxes in a cluster. Multi-core processors saved me much money for the same peak performance, but tuning or optimization can help us do better.
> Regards,
> Li, Bo

More to the point (and perhaps more useful for cluster/systems
engineers) -- as one adds cores to a CPU without increasing the
bandwidth of the memory it shares or otherwise multiplexing the pathways
to that memory, it is almost inevitable that a memory bottleneck will
appear.  It seems reasonable to probe that memory bottleneck as directly
as possible with e.g. multiple copies of stream or stream-like
benchmarks that also permit shuffled/nonstreaming/random access to
memory blocks for varying sizes and strides of read and written data to
get an idea of the BASELINE rates and nonlinearities as one runs over
the cache boundaries and so on.

This gives people without access to a quad core at least the opportunity
to meditate on whether or not there is any hope of it being useful, to
them, compared to (say) a dual dual core or two single processor dual
cores with a network connection.  A quad core CPU "is" a little
mini-beowulf in some sense and faces very similar issues when one
contemplates its task scaling, and just as network-based IPCs are the
crux of the issue for COTS cluster design it seems that core-to-core
and/or core-to-memory latencies and bandwidths in different load
configurations are at the crux for multicores, where putting LOTS of
cores on a single die can just make things MUCH worse.  (Remembering
that the task scaling curve can easily turn DOWN if you put too many
CPUs on a task with inadequate IPC capacity.)

Has anyone published a simple set of these numbers?  One would expect to
be able to understand most other benchmarks in terms of them...

    rgb