[Beowulf] latency vs bandwidth for NAMD

Dow Hurst DPHURST DPHURST at uncg.edu
Wed Aug 22 09:52:30 PDT 2007

Jim and Kevin,
Why would the 4 core point on the performance benchmark be reversed between
the 2.66GHz and 3.0GHz?  I'm pretty sure that the Lonestar NAMD was
compiled with the Intel compilers.  I don't know what was used on the
Cambridge Darwin cluster.  Both machines are Intel Woodcrest dual cores and
dual physical CPUs per node.

Both Infinipath clusters listed on the performance benchmark have the best
scaling for the apoa1 benchmark between 128 to 512 cores.

Sure seems if SDR is good enough for an Intel Clovertown based cluster that
that would be more cost effective.  The Woodcrest and Clovertown are priced
about the same.

Thanks for your comments!
Dow

Dow P. Hurst, Research Scientist
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
435 New Science Bldg.
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
dphurst at uncg.edu
Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com