[Beowulf] BIOS

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Aug 14 00:13:07 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 12:45 -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > left afterwards - and I'm sepaking as someone who has tried capturing
> > /dev/nvram settings and pushing them out to the updated nodes, which doesn't
> > necessarily work.
>
> how does it fail?  I'm guessing the issue is that there are LOTS more
> settings now than with the PC-AT (hypertransport frequency, etc).
> it would be most interesting to know where those are stored - perhaps
> even in the same flash as the bios itself?

the last time I tried using /dev/nvram in anger was with a cluster of
MSI machines. As I remember, there was some subtlty with setting the
serial console (we always configure machines to use a serial console).
I can't remember the exact issue, but it meant that we had to do all 150
machines by hand.