[Beowulf] WD green harddrive, greenwashing?

matt jones jamesjamiejones at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 15:53:32 PDT 2007

hi -

at home our server we call green. it's not low power. but it is 100%
recycled from someone who didn't want it... it's a P2 mobo with a P3
XU02 SLOT.... it consumes about 28W while under normal net usage. it has
2 HDD's a 20GB 'low' consumption laptop drive - adapted for the 3.5"
bay, and an external 320GB disk in an enclosure. i rigged the power for
that to slave from the PSU and that uses less power than while using
it's own PSU. we also have a program/system that runs and optimizes the
drives on time (uses scripting, active directory and IIS i think). so it
turns off if no one is logged on or if it isn't used for some time.
backup's are still a problem so will have to add that support soon.

i think the new drives are just a new step on the ladder for hard
drives.  the power consumption is always going to fall as it's a demand
of customers and the new technology available. i would say just another
marketing con - like HD TV - to the end user like myself, probably no
difference than the 'green' label... i'ld rather increase my carbon
offset or buy a few solar panels than invest in one of these drives.

http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/08/02/wd-greenpower-energy-efficient-hard-drives/