[Beowulf] nfs: server starsrv not responding, still trying

A Lenzo alenzo at mail.rochester.edu
Wed Aug 1 11:42:11 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I am receiving this message upon shutting down a client node on my 3-machine
network NFS/NIS cluster.  Nothing else is loaded on these machines, but both
NIS and NFS are working just fine.  Only when I shut down one of the clients
to I receive trouble:

Unmounting pipe file systems OK
Unmounting file systems OK
Halting system...
nfs: server starsrv not responding, still trying
nfs: server starsrv not responding, still trying

Also, if I boot the client from the beginning and log into (local) root,
there is no problem at all when shutting down.  Only when I log into an NIS
account and THEN shut down will I see this problem.  (everything works fine
when I am logged in, however).

Can anyone help?
Tony

PS - Using Fedora Core 6