[Beowulf] fast file copying

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Mon Apr 30 11:35:25 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

During an HPC talk some years ago, I recall someone mentioned a tool
which can copy large datasets across a cluster using a ring
topology.  Perhaps someone here knows of this tool?

More to the point, we are pushing around datasets that are about
1Gbyte.  The datasets are pushed out to dozens of nodes all at once
and we foresee saturating the I/O system on our cluster as we grow.
We are limited to using just the available disks and are looking for
a reasonable solution that can support this kind of simultaneous
access.   Currently we push the data out using rsync, but if I don't
get any better ideas I may simply move to a pull system where the
data is fetched by HTTP.  I can get better throttling that way, at
least.

-geoff

Geoff Galitz
geoff at galitz.org