[Beowulf] Problem while booting diskless node.

Maxime Kinet mkinet at ulb.ac.be
Mon Apr 30 03:04:43 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my first cluster with diskless nodes. To achieve
that, I'm using PXElinux on a server, running Fedora Core 6, and a
NFS-mounted root partition on the node. Everything works perfectly
(getting the IP address, loading the kernel and mounting the
filesytem) until the node has to run some binaries located into /sbin
during the boot process. Apparently it's unable to execute them
because they have been compiled with dynamically linked libraries and
not statically. The /sbin directory of the node is a simple copy of
the one of the server. I tried to avoid the problem using the busybox
tools, and it worked a bit better but then it couldn't execute bash
scripts such as rc.sysinit.
As anybody ever encountered such problems and what should I do to
solve it? recompile the kernel of the node or of the server? change
the distribution? Are there any other simpler method to proceed than
using PXE?

Thanks a lot for helping,

Maxime Kinet
Université Libre de Bruxelles