[Beowulf] SPEC MPI2007

Tom Elken elken at pathscale.com
Thu Apr 26 08:23:11 PDT 2007

Hi Håkon,

Since that presentation was written, the 18 benchmarks were pruned down to 13
for various reasons, but none added, so there are still no applications with
MPI_Alltoall or MPI_Alltoallv in the suite.  We didn't know about this lack
until you pointed it out.

It is unclear how important is this lack.  It could be that applications writers
try to avoid these calls when trying to write scalable applications.  Also the
fact that 18 applications picked more or less at random (while trying to find
scalable, publicly available applications from a wide range of disciplines) did
not use these calls, may mean something.  There is one benchmark still in the
suite whose source contains MPI_Alltoall calls, but the test cases we run do not
use that function.

But still, the HPG committee will entertain adding such benchmarks for later
versions of the benchmark suite.

Thanks,
Tom