[Beowulf] Diskless Cluster Ram Disk Login

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:02:05 PDT 2007

Stephen,
I'm sure someone more hip will give you a better answer, but: long ago,
login just encrypted the password and compared it to the encrypted string in
the login file, which was pretty readable; e.g. a line might have been:
"pete", "^%&%", /home/pete, ... listing the user's login name, home
directory, and encrypted password. But that simple thing got nuked for
tighter security; now, when you login, your password gets encrypted, but
then compared to something that is less readable and stored separately
from the simple user configuration stuff. So, maybe some link to some
special file didn't get distributed to your ramdisk; e.g. if the copy
process didn't have the perms needed for the login authentication. So I'd
check for things like /etc/master.passwd on the ram disk for readability by
passwd(), but I don't know what Fedora does currently, some of these things
are flavor specific.

Also, it might be using something like Kerboros to authenticate a domain
password, but does not have access to the Kerboros server.

Maybe you could edit the login daemon (invoked in whatever serves for initab
now) to redirect standard error to a file you'd be able to read later? or
maybe pipe it into elm and get an email explaining the error while you try
and log in :-)

Peter