[Beowulf] scheduler policy design

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 06:09:39 PDT 2007

On 19 Apr 2007, at 12:42 pm, Toon Knapen wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for articles and/or books on `scheduling policy design`.
> More precisely I'm looking for information on how to define
> policies for
> queue systems (like SGE, PBS etc) to optimise throughput, efficiency,
> avoid conflicts, how to optimise short and long queue's etc.

I don't know of any books; but my experience is that generally the
simpler the configuration the better, especially as far as throughput
is concerned.

Optimising for throughput, at least with an embarrassingly parallel
workload of serial jobs like we have here, is trivial; a single first-
come-first-served queue is optimal, as long as the code is well
written, and doesn't block too much on shared resources like file
servers or databases.

Optimising for other things, such as turnaround time or some form of
"fairness" in allocation of machine time, is much harder, and
virtually impossible if your users refuse to make estimates of how
much memory or runtime they actually require.

Most of the scheduling tweaks we put in to improve fairness and
response time actually have a negative impact on throughput and
efficiency.

Regards,

Tim