[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Warren Turkal wt at atmos.colostate.edu
Mon Apr 16 10:37:41 PDT 2007

On Monday 16 April 2007 11:13, Mark Hahn wrote:
> I only occasionally have to deal with it, so do not consider my
> opinion to be authoritative.  as far as I can tell, it's a tool
> that dates back to the days when everyone as inventing their own
> way to do whole-tree builds.  X had a similar thing, and probably
> dozens of other projects.  eventually, it became clear that using make
> itself was the most sensible approach.

It came about after autoconf/automake. The main reason for it was that
autoconf/automake only work well in a Posix environment. The software of
Kitware needed to be portable to Windows as well. So they made cmake. It can
generate Unix Makefiles, Kdevelop project files, or MSVC project files.

> far more interesting is _configuring_ a whole tree.  do you use cmake
> for this, as well?  that's the real point of the modern "./configure &&
> make" approach, and at least in the cases I've seen, cmake doesn't do this.

Cmake does allow configuration. You can set the variables interactively or at
the command line a la configure. This happens when you run the cmake command
to generate your Makefiles.

wt
--
Warren Turkal