[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Sun Apr 15 20:01:58 PDT 2007

Joe is right about the stability factor.

I have staff that try to ride the bleeding edge of FC on their desktops,
and most of the time it works fine. But, for my clusters I want a stable
and long term supportable OS. I can't afford an upgrade costing downtime
or lack of availability. I also can't afford major upgrades every 18
months. My number one desire is supported stability. My number two
desire is speed.  Maybe this philosophy comes from all of my years in
unix world (21 and counting), but the idea of standardizing on something
that has the limited longterm support of FC scares me. We regulalry run
nodes for years without reboot.

Right now there are projects that are still at FC2  for their stable
versions (open-ssi for instance). But FC2 is dead. I think that the dev
version of open-ssi is FC3, but it's dead too.

I do not run diskless nodes. I test sample hardware for power usage,
heat output, and stability before purchasing it in quantity. A working
cluster is not the place that I want to experiment with "maybe's." Just
because an OS isn't the newest is not a bad thing.

Stability, stability, stability.

Mike Davis