[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Apr 15 15:50:27 PDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> I'm not certain that I "like" the idea of fully integrating extras
> into the main core, though.  The problem with FC+extras+updates even
> now is that 6500 packages is a bit difficult to get a human brain
> around, especially when they are basically unsorted and in only two
> or three enormous repos.  Yum supports the notion of segmenting into
> multiple repos, and I honestly think that it would be a good idea to
> take advantage of this and have e.g. a separate "fedora games" repo, a
> "fedora scientific" repo, a "fedora office" repo and so on.  Flat is
> good for certain machine driven automatic things -- flat is not so
> good for human cognitive things.

Hi Robert,

From a packaging (not a user perspective) there are a number of ways
that merging Core+Extras was/is a big improvement.  Dependencies
between packages (Core items could not depend on Extras) was, for
instance, an annoying problem that now vanishes.

But getting to your point about package segregation into named repos
for end-user manageability -- I think I see what you want.  Perhaps
it is something that can be better handled by improving the package
"groups/categories" (aka "Comps") situation?  Its a topic that has been
discussed within Fedora and it will hopefully get more attention (and
better tools) as the total number of packages grows.

If you have a desire to improve the situation the best place to start
is:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

and volunteer to help with some aspect.

Ed