[Beowulf] OT: Last resort query here... (but it's NOT about a Win Wulf...)

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:41:13 PDT 2007

Gerry,
Yeah. I think Korn is the "preferred" shell at AT&T too. But better for you
to dumb down your tcsh (say) to ksh (say) for the make, than for the
sysadmin to.
Unfortunately the infinite flexibilty of the open environment (my choice of
vi, or emacs!!) leads to uncontrollable variety, which frightens many
responsible parties.
My rule of thumb is to use the tools of **my** choice, to build products
that contain the maintainable methods of the **owner's** choice. So I use vi
to code, but if an app has to spawn an editor session for a user, it spawns
Notepad.
Peter