[Beowulf] debugging

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Apr 10 16:36:05 PDT 2007

Matt Funk wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice? I am open to try out other things as well if
> possible. I am just starting to learn debugger techniques for a parallel
> program.

Core dumps are your friends (though most linux distros turn them off by
default now).  That and compiling your code with symbols, and debugging
enabled.  I rather enjoy (ok, I really don't) pulling up crashed
binaries, loading up the core, and walking the stack backwards to see
the real reason for the crash.

Oddly enough I am doing that now for an MPI code (sigh).