[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Apr 9 14:27:15 PDT 2007

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> I have a colleague who's still swearing at that one whenever he
> recalls it :)  One of my first comments via his blog to Ian Murdock when
> he joined Sun was that he should make it easy to install a full GNU
> toolchain on all versions of Solaris. Luckily, when I last did this,
> I had an earlier version of GCC to fall back on - but the process of
> building GCC 4.01 on Solaris, though very instructive, was still
> bondage and discipline.

[virtual coffee hits real screen]

> [You know it's bad when you have to build newer versions of
> tar, gzip and sed just to be able to deal with the GNU source code
> tarball :) ]

Yup.  Had to do that already.  Wasn't amused by this.  I keep hearing
how this is "better".  Yeah.  Ok.

FWIW: Nextenta is Solaris inside of a Ubuntu wrapper.  Haven't loaded it
yet, plan to at some point.

FWIW2: (and not a sun shill here) Studio 11 is *free*.  Doesn't seem to
generate as good (e.g. fast) code for linux as its commercial
competitors under linux (nor for that matter is the code it generates
under Solaris as fast as the code other compilers generate under Linux,
at least for my test cases)

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615