[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sun Apr 8 22:42:43 PDT 2007

> landman at dualcore:~> cat hi.f90
>        program hi
>        print *,"hi"
>        end
> landman at dualcore:~> pgf90 hi.f90
> landman at dualcore:~> ./a.out
> hi
> landman at dualcore:~> ls -alF a.out
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 landman users 2302794 Apr  8 21:38 a.out*

interesting - my x86_64 (pgf90 6.1-6) generates just 1.2 MB,
of which 77KB is text (according to 'file').

>> about the data segment of a program. Also, people tell
>> me that there are programs that were generated by other
>> programs that are larger than 32 bits. I've never seen

I think it's true that 2GB is large for text, but it's also not
terribly relevant.  I don't see much problem caused by 64 instruction
addresses, since things like libraries seem to get along with
32b fixups (mcmodel=small).  I have no idea what windows does.