[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Mon Apr 2 11:01:44 PDT 2007

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:12:29PM -0400, Douglas Eadline wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Would any of you please like to share usage-experience/views/comments
>> > about Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 based Beowulf Clusters?
>>
>> As a point of clarification, there is no such thing
>> as a "Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 based Beowulf Clusters"
>> This link may help:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster
>>

> I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with saying "Your Beowulf must
> run
> an (F)OSS operating system to be a Beowulf."

Because I believe, "the art of Beowulf" has a rich history of development
that is based on the original definition from "How to Build a Beowulf" by
Thomas Sterling, John Salmon, Donald J. Becker and Daniel F. Savarese:

 ".. a collection of personal computers interconnected
  by widely available networking technology running anyone of several
  open source Unix-like operating systems. "

I would not want to see it usurped by other clustering efforts.
I believe that if we do not protect against revisionist history, then
all of a sudden WCCS is now "Beowulf" computing. Such things, in my
opinion dis-honor all the people (who I respect) that have contributed
to this community. To me it is almost akin to removing author credit
in open source software.

A short aside. I overheard a conversation at SC-2000 about
the origin of Beowulf from a MS representative "Beowulf
was a copy of the Microsoft Wolfpack software. They chose
that name so it would seem like Wolfpack some how".
Truth is a slippery fish.

Certainly Thomas Sterling can rework the definition as he pleases
(he co-authored it), And I am not disparaging WCCS or
any other clustering method. I just want to keep the credit
where credit is due.

So I stand as a defender of the faith, as it where.

 --
 Doug

--
Doug