[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 2 10:17:41 PDT 2007

At 09:12 AM 4/2/2007, Douglas Eadline wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Would any of you please like to share usage-experience/views/comments
> > about Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 based Beowulf Clusters?
>
>As a point of clarification, there is no such thing
>as a "Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 based Beowulf Clusters"
>This link may help:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

I know that most people interpret Beowulf to include only those with
open source software (hence leaving out things like Windows), but I
think that really, the distinguishing feature of a classic Beowulf
cluster is that it uses "consumer commodity" sorts of things (e.g.
inexpensive PCs intended for the consumer market).  I think one could
fairly say that Windows falls in the "consumer commodity" category.

Now, WinCCS isn't exactly in the commodity area, but, then, neither
are some of the high performance interconnects currently used, and
that doesn't exclude them from discussion.  And, of course, some
Beowulf clusters have been built using Macs and Suns, with their
respective not-entirely-open operating systems.

It IS true that the "mainstream" of Beowulfery is Linux oriented,
and, as Doug comments later, that IS the focus of the list.

As far as Windows CCS goes, there have been a couple discussions on
the list about what CCS is, how it fits in to the clustering world,
and how such things might differ from the traditional Linux
model.  Check the archives.

> > What in your opinion is the future of such clusters?
> >
> > How you compare these with the LINUX CLUSTERS?
>
>You will not find much information on this list as
>it mainly focuses on Linux Beowulf style clusters.
>
>My understanding is MS is working on the "ease of use"
>and integration issues. You may find more information
>at http://www.winhpc.org/
>
>  --
>  Doug
>
>--
>Doug

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075