[Beowulf] NFS cache vs. local reading

Daniel Navas-Parejo Alonso danapa2000 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 04:50:21 PDT 2006

Jerry,
To make NFS to do that, you should configure something similar to cachefs.
I've used this in Solaris, don't know if it has been released also to Linux
or other OSs. If you use LustreFS or similar, you'll have also the cache
mechanism built-in.

I think your suggestion is right, let NFS do that, just in case in the
future, the code behaviour is different so you have to change the script
again and again each time the number 100 decreases/increases.

Anyway, take into account that NFS cache is local to each node of the
cluster, so if the subsequent times you run the code, the jobs are scheduled
to other nodes that have never access the data file, you've got to access
NFS again.

Rgds,
Daniel.