[Beowulf] Stupid MPI programming question

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Sep 29 06:33:56 PDT 2006

Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:03:42AM -0700, Michael Will wrote:
>> That's wierd. On my scyld cluster it worked fine once I had created /tmp/oooo/ on all compute nodes  before running the job.
>>

> Nope, it's not weird, it's just lucky  :)
>
> Writing to memory you aren't meant to write to can lead to anything or
> nothing, depending mostly on luck  - or higher powers if you want to
> believe that  :)

It should lead to SEGV's.  If it doesn't then you are running into the
dreaded

	Beware of this code bug, it is subtle and quick to anger (and crash at
inopportune moments).

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615