[Beowulf] Looking for external RAID vendors

Warren Turkal wt at atmos.colostate.edu
Wed Sep 27 23:40:10 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 09:49, Mark Hahn wrote:
>  approx size/config?

SR1520 is a 15 disk unit. It is 3U. It takes SATA disks. As a result, it can
hold up to 11.25TB until SATA drives get bigger.

The configuration is basically put in disks and fire it up. You can then
create raid sets and everything else you'd expect. You can do the config from
a connected keyboard/monitor, serial terminal, or cec (something like telnet
over ethernet). I personally use an Opengear serial terminal server for
configuration.

It runs Plan9 with no IP stack. I consider this a slight disadvantage in that
it cannot produce SNMP traps. The only way to monitor it is to send udp
syslog messages to a syslog receiver and grep info out of the collected logs.
I think it would be much cooler if it ran a TCP/IP stack on its interfaces so
that you could ssh in directly. A sufficiently clever hacker could probably
pull it off considering that they use the rc shell as their command shell. If
they had a TCP/IP stack, it would be able to send SNMP traps and even present
an http interface.

wt
--
Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science