[Beowulf] Stupid MPI programming question

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Sep 27 21:15:34 PDT 2006

Clements, Brent M (SAIC) wrote:
> Ok, here is the code I'm working with....mkdir keeps giving me a -1
> failure...can anyone spot what I"m doing wrong?

Trust in the man page Luke ... er Brent...  (and use

	#include <errno.h>
	extern int errno;

in your code.

Then you can do an

	if (mkdir_return == -1)
   	 {
	   if (errno == EPERM) { printf("Its a permission error!\n"); }
	   if (errno == EEXIST) { printf("Its already existed!\n"); }
	   if (errno == EACESS) { printf("Parent directory wont let me!\n"); }

          }

 From the man page ...

RETURN VALUE
        mkdir  returns  zero  on success, or -1 if an error occurred (in
which
        case, errno is set appropriately).

ERRORS
        EPERM  The filesystem containing pathname does not  support  the
  cre-
               ation of directories.

        EEXIST pathname already exists (not necessarily as a directory).
  This
               includes the case where pathname is a symbolic  link,
dangling
               or not.

        EFAULT pathname points outside your accessible address space.

        EACCES The  parent  directory  does  not allow write permission
to the
               process, or one of the directories in pathname  did  not
  allow
               search (execute) permission.

        ENAMETOOLONG
               pathname was too long.

       ENOENT A  directory  component in pathname does not exist or is a
dan-
               gling symbolic link.

        ENOTDIR
               A component used as a directory in pathname is not, in
fact,  a
               directory.

        ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available.

        EROFS  pathname refers to a file on a read-only filesystem.

        ELOOP  Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving
pathname.

        ENOSPC The device containing pathname has no room for the  new
direc-
               tory.

        ENOSPC The  new  directory  cannot  be created because the
user's disk
               quota is exhausted.

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615