[Beowulf] Stupid MPI programming question

Clements, Brent M (SAIC) brent.clements at bp.com
Wed Sep 27 17:47:17 PDT 2006

Hey Guys,

I've been sitting here working for the past 48 hours and I'm fighting a stupid bug in some mpi code I'm working on

How do I broadcast a char string to my slave mpi processes? And how do I receive that char string and print it out on my slave mpi process.

This is what I have in my code(some things have been removed)

#define MASTER_RANK 0

char* mystring;

mystring = "some test";

MPI_Bcast(&mystring, sizeof(basedir), MPI_CHAR, MASTER_RANK, MPI_COMM_WORLD);

in my slave process code I have this

printf("my string I received: %s", mystring);

Am I doing something wrong? Or if someone has some sample code they can point me to on how to send a string to a slave mpi process and have that slave mpi process print out the string..that would be even better. That way..I relearn MPI basics 101

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.