[Beowulf] Looking for external RAID vendors

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Sep 27 11:15:02 PDT 2006

Mark Hahn wrote:
>> We've migrated to CoRAID ATA-over-Ethernet and enterprise-class SATA
>> for most of our work with weather and ocean models here.
>
> also, afaikt, you can put together your own AoE servers without any
> CoRAID parts.  I wonder if anyone has done that (thinking of it mostly
> as a way to test the water without spending money...)

I'm curious to know people's experience as well.  Currently I build our
own NFS servers based on a 4U 24-disk SATA chassis.  I can buy one with
a Dual Opteron 246 HE and 4GB RAM for slightly more (10%) than CoRAID's
15 disk chassis.  We don't need block level access, but I imagine I
could export with AoE or iSCSI if needed.  I'm wondering if there is an
advantage to the CoRAID stuff that I'm not seeing...

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                  303-415-9701 x222
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com