[Beowulf] AMD Opteron Linpack Benchmark

Kevin Ball kball at pathscale.com
Thu Sep 21 10:10:45 PDT 2006

Hi Lai,

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 00:03, Lai Dragonfly wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm doing the HPL benchmark on several nodes of AMD opteron platform
> but may expand to hundred of nodes later.
> i hope to get around 80% efficiency.
> Anyone has good suggestions of combination of compiler (appreciate if
> includes compiler flags) + math lib on AMD platforms?

  For HPL, choice of compiler is not too important, but math libraries
are very much so.  I recommend the Goto BLAS library (You can find it at
http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/resources/software/#blas.  Expanding to
higher numbers of nodes, interconnect can be somewhat important too.
You don't need a fantastic interconnect for HPL, but gigE is probably
not sufficient for 80% efficiency over hundreds of nodes.

-Kevin