[Beowulf] Has anyone actually seen/used a cell system?

John Leidel john.leidel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 15:32:57 PDT 2006

Uh oh... I see another HPL debate looming in the wings.  :-)
Once again, we find ourselves debating how to measure synthetic
performance in order to quantitatively compare extremely disparate
architectures.
The HPL test(s) fill a need.  However, my personal belief is that we
must simply wait until the machine is built and decide based on /real/
workloads how it performs.
The cell is certainly an interesting, yet complex, approach to
computing.   My only fear is that we, as an industry, are not paying
close attention to our common strategic goal : Perform more science per
unit time.  So I pose a question, with the advent of such complex
machines, are we taking a step forward or in reverse?