NFS Performance (was Re: [Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86))

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Sep 15 09:27:57 PDT 2006

Michael Will wrote:
> I am puzzled by an sles9sp3 (2.6.9 kernel) nfs server that serves rhel3
> (2.4.21 kernel) compute nodes. For some reason a lot of times the mounts
> fail (with default as well as modified parameters). The symptom is
> mount: rpc timeout. The server logs all authentification requests as
> successful.  The switch is an oversubscribed hp 4108gl.

Yes.  This is what we ran into last year.  A SuSE box serving a Rocks
cluster (Rocks 4.0).  Basic idea: use tcp mounts and turn off jumbo
packets.  Also, we had major issues with the tg3 driver, and moved the
RHEL units to a BCM5700 driver.  After this, most of the problems went away.

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615