NFS Performance (was Re: [Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86))

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 15 07:49:01 PDT 2006

>> Wild guess - NFS servers are running RHEL and using ext3 ?
>
> Exactly.

interesting.  but I'd be surprised if any of this was due to the distro,
rather than the kernel.  I normally prefer to run an up-to-date kernel.org
kernel on as many servers as I can, rather than random distro-hacked stuff.

upgrading the rhel server to a kernel.org kernel would be minimal work,
probably...

> Additionally, are you writing your journal to a different partition?

s/paritition/device/ I hope.  I think journaling to a partition on a
device that's also being used by the FS in question is no different
from leaving the journal embedded.  journaling to a device with no
competing activity appears to be a major win...