NFS Performance (was Re: [Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86))

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Fri Sep 15 07:05:53 PDT 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 1:05 am, Brent Franks wrote:

> As stated, our FS infrasdtructure leaves much to be desired.  The
> current setup involving NFS servers (Dell PE 2850 with local 1TB local
> storage 10K scsi disks) have not performed well.  We are constantly IO
> waiting.

Wild guess - NFS servers are running RHEL and using ext3 ?

We used to have that problem with the 2 NFS servers for our 90 node cluster
till we dumped RHEL,  switched to Fedora and XFS and all our horrible NFS
problems went away.

Now it just works - and they are supporting another large-ish cluster (46
4xPPC64 nodes).

cheers,
Chris