[Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86)

Leandro Tavares Carneiro leandro at ep.petrobras.com.br
Thu Sep 14 11:34:41 PDT 2006

We have tested it using 24 nodes as NSDs servers, using a partition of
the internal IDE (PATA) disk as storage.

It worked very well. The type of the disk doesn't hurt the performance
and the load of the nodes are perfect balanced. It is a very good
product, very viable in technical terms. It does a better work than
Lustre...

The main problem with it is the IBM licensing type... At the time we
tested it, the IBM guys told us it is licensed by CPU, and was very
expensive. After that, they told us they have changed this licensing,
but doesn't explain what changed.

If anyone wanna use a parallel file system, acquiring a commercial
solution must evaluate Panasas. It is a hardware/software solution and
is very robust and easy to deploy.

Regards,

Leandro Tavares Carneiro
Petrobras TI/TI-E&P/STEP Suporte Tecnico de E&P
Av Chile, 65 sala 1501 EDISE - Rio de Janeiro / RJ
Tel: (0xx21) 3224-1427