[Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86)

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Thu Sep 14 06:05:42 PDT 2006

Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:01:33PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
>> HP's version of Lustre (SFS) is also capacity-licensed
>> (and I agree, it's a customer-hostile policy.)
>>
>>> I really don't seem many people discussing the good and bad things
>>> about the current crop of distributed/shared filesystems.  Do
>>> they sign a contract saying they can disclose any information about
>>> their operation?
>> well, if you spend significant money on a commercial product,
>> and are using/depending on it, it's not attractive to embarass
>> the vendor in public.
>>
>>> IBM GPFS
>>> Ibrix
>>> Isilon
>>> Terrascale
>>> Netapp
>>> (Did I forget some).
>> Lustre/SFS and Redhat GFS, certainly.
>
> http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/31/28/
>
> Might help put things in perspective a bit and adds a few
> more to the list. Published about a year ago -- still fresh
> in the context of filesystems.
>
> Thanks,
> Karen

The website doesn't have any real-world experience.  I would
like to know things like 'Filesystem X has much better
meta-data performance than Filesystem Y', or 'Don't try using
netcdf files on Filesystem Z, because the performance will
be awful'.

Discussions about real-world use will help users get through
the marketing fluff to find out what is really going on.  Not
everyone has a chance to test every single filesystem before
choosing one.

Craig