[Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86)

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Thu Sep 14 06:02:02 PDT 2006

Mark Hahn wrote:
>> required that you buy their storage.  Also the licensing of
>> GPFS was based on the quantity of storage, which I didn't like.
>
> HP's version of Lustre (SFS) is also capacity-licensed
> (and I agree, it's a customer-hostile policy.)

Yes, I was aware of this as well.  I just blanked on it in
my first email.

>> I really don't seem many people discussing the good and bad things
>> about the current crop of distributed/shared filesystems.  Do
>> they sign a contract saying they can disclose any information about
>> their operation?
>
> well, if you spend significant money on a commercial product,
> and are using/depending on it, it's not attractive to embarass
> the vendor in public.
>
>> IBM GPFS
>> Ibrix
>> Isilon
>> Terrascale
>> Netapp
>> (Did I forget some).
>
> Lustre/SFS and Redhat GFS, certainly.

Sorry, of course Lustre should have been on this list.
Does GFS work in distributed mode?  I didn't add it
to the list because since it is a shared filesystem
(multiple clients access the block devices directly)
I didn't include it.  If we include GFS, then we
also have to include at least SGI CXFS and ADIC StorNext.

Craig