[Beowulf] Killing may user jobs on many compute nodes

Diego M. Vadell dvadell at linuxclusters.com.ar
Tue Sep 12 08:37:06 PDT 2006

Hi Dan,
   If you use PBS/torque or some other batch system that could use it, the
epilogue script in http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/pbs/ may help you:

" When running parallel jobs on Linux clusters with MPICH and PBS, "slave"
MPICH processes are often left behind on one or nodes at job abortion. PBS
makes no attempt to clean up processes on any node except the master node,
and so these processes can linger for some time. The approach used at the
WGR/PDL lab is to kill these processes by means of a second MPI-enabled
program, which is run on the same set of nodes that the main job was run on,
by the PBS epilogue facility. This program kills all of the user's processes
that have the relevant PBS job ID in their environment, so should leave other
jobs on the same machine untouched. To set up this system, this C program
should be compiled with mpicc and installed as /usr/local/bin/mpicleanup on
every MPI node. This epilogue script should then be used by PBS on every node
(usually it needs to be installed as /usr/spool/PBS/mom_priv/epilogue) to
call the MPICH cleanup program properly at job termination."

I have just started using it so I cannot say if it works in all the cases.

Hope it helps,
 -- Diego.