[Beowulf] NFS Performance using SLES 10

Tim Moore twm at tcg-hsv.com
Mon Sep 11 09:56:00 PDT 2006

Hello All!

I have a small two-node cluster with AMD64 Opteron processors.  It was
running Centos 4 and NFS performance was good while not hindering
performance.  I replaced Centos with SLES 10 about 2 weeks ago and just
now got around to really hitting it hard submitting jobs.  Processes
that normally took about 15 seconds such as normal IO (each processor
writes its own data file) now require 10-15 minutes.  When I observed
the IO status, I saw that I could probably write the file by hand faster
than the 2nd node was writing the files to the server.  I would have to
check but I think the mobo has integrated broadcom ethernet.  I have
tried the usual tweaks with respect to rsize and wsize and performance
seemed to worsen if it changed at all.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?  And/Or does anyone have
suggestions outside the wsize and rsize?

Thanks!
Tim

--
Timothy W. Moore
President & Chief Scientist, Special Programs

Trident Consulting Group, Inc.
600 Boulevard South, Suite 106
Huntsville, AL 35802

Office: (256) 882-1001