[Beowulf] cluster softwares supporting parallel CFD computing

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 17:58:59 PDT 2006

> It does apply, however, many parallel algorithms used today are
> naturally blocking. Why?  Well, complicating your algorithm to overlap
> communication and computation rarely gives a benefit in practice. So
> anyone who's tried has likely become discouraged, and most people
> haven't even tried.
>
> -- greg

You comment about overlapping computation and communication is
interesting.  As the number of cores per address space goes up, the
chance that overlapping computation with communication actually gives
you anything also decreases... memory copies require CPU intervention
(unless you offload it to your NIC which then means you suffer the
normal latencies/message rates etc there).

Sure, you can offload the copy to the NIC on some interconnects (eg.
Quadrics) but I personally found that the increased latency and
decreased bandwidth of the copy affected performance more than not
overlapping.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com