[Beowulf] Create cluster : questions

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 11:43:32 PDT 2006

What you are looking for is not an HPC cluster, but rather a
compute/compile farm...

Did you look at SGE (GridEngine) before?? SGE has 2 parallel make
implementations: SGE's own qmake and distmake:
http://distmake.sourceforge.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.SGEIntegration

For other similar projects (Condor, PBS, BOINC), they do not have
parallel make integration, but you can treat each package building as
a job.

You can take a look at the following projects:
SGE:    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/
BOINC: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
Condor: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

And for SGE, you can setup a queue calendar, and thus the hosts will
only accept jobs during off hours. You should also read this HOWTO:
"Tracking Interactive Idle Time"
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/idle.html

You can get further help from the mailing list:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=users

Rayson