[Beowulf] Optimal BIOS settings for Tyan K8SRE

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Mon Sep 4 05:31:50 PDT 2006

Hi,

Sure. We have a head node which acts as an NFS server for the diskless
compute nodes in the cluster. On the head node, I had to use the
following BIOS settings to ensure the OS could see the full 4GB of
physical memory installed,

Main
	Installed O/S Linux

        Memory Hole
                4GB Memory Hole Adjust  Auto
                4GB Memory Hole Size    1024 MB
                IOMMU   Enabled
                Memhole mapping Software

        MTRR Mapping    Discrete

On the diskless nodes, if I used the above settings - the driver for the
network card wasn't loaded (I guess the probing failed due to the
network device not being visible with the above memory hole config - but
I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of what happens here and whether this is
h/w or driver dependent). Some further experimentation gave the
following configuration which sees 4GB of memory available, *and* a
working network driver (which is pretty useful for diskless compute
nodes :)

Main
	Installed O/S Linux

        Memory Hole
                4GB Memory Hole Adjust  Manual
                4GB Memory Hole Size    768 MB
                IOMMU   Enabled
                Size    32 MB
                Memhole mapping Hardware

        MTRR Mapping    Discrete

I'm not sure what the performance difference is between the 2 above and
whether there would be an advantage to changing the head node to also
use hardware memhole mapping.

The kernel in both cases are stock Debian kernels (mostly using standard
options, some config changes to allow diskless NFS booting but nothing
memory related).

-stephen