[Beowulf] NCSU and FORTRAN

Wallace Pitts wpitts at concentric.net
Sun Sep 3 19:08:15 PDT 2006

Robert;

My wife is a biomathematics student at NCSU.  She is currently working
on a Markov chain simulation using MATLAB.  The goal is to use some sort
of search routine to find a set of transition matrix parameters that
minimize the sum of squares.  The problem simulated say 10,000 molecules
for say 400 states.  The search process is slow as mollassesb (we use
routines in the optimization toolbox as well as the Genetic algorithm
and direct search toolbox).

I used FORTRAN in a former life, and still have a compiler or 2.  In
addition I have several optimization routines lifted  from "Optimization
with FORTRAN.

Any suggestions as to compilers (have g77).  I have looked at the
propaganda on Intel's website, and they claim that their Visual FORTRAN
will handle multi core processors.

Regards,

Wallace Pitts.