[Beowulf] cluster softwares supporting parallel CFD computing

Ivan Paganini ispmarin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 14:51:21 PDT 2006

We, at LFC, have some specific requests, and our cluster is not large (much
less powerfull than yours, a bunch of old PIII), so we use debian stable as
OS, MPICH 1.2.7 as Message Passing Libraries, Portland Group Compilers and
Intel Compilers, and netlib lapack and scalapack. We also use ACML with PGI
Compilers and MKL with Intel Compilers. Also we use FFTW 3.1.1.

Some questions: is your application already parallel? What kind of
parallelism (SM, MP) does it
uses? Are you going to use any cluster management software? Which
services are you going to run on the server (NFS,
NIS, etc)?
We use the master node to perform computation because 1) We don't have more
computers and we can't afford loosing another computer, and 2) The only
burden on this server is the NFS, and it is not that heavy.

Hope it helps...

On 8/30/06, amjad ali <amjad11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Hi All.
>
> We are developing Beowulf Cluster for the first time at our university
> department. We will perform numerical simulations in CFD on the
> cluster. We have chosen that each node (master and compute) of the
> cluster will be consisting of 2 AMD Dual Core Opteron Processors on
> Tyan Thunder Motherboard, 4 GB of RAM (2GB RAM for each processor),
> and at least 80GB of Hard Disk Drive. The nodes will be connected
> through 10/100/1000baseT Gigabit Ethernet. Initially we have decided
> to setup cluster of 1 master and 3 compute nodes. Thus totaling 16
> cores in the cluster. Now we require suggestion for clustering
> softwares and technical softwares/compilers/libraries.  We want to
> have suitable software for cluster establishment, scheduling and
> monitoring. I have studied a bit about "scyld".
> Could any of tell me about that? I am little convinced with "scyld". I
> am a Lehman computer user so cannot fully understand the concerning
> pages on the web.
>
> I wonder to see too many terms about "scyld" like. Are they
> same/integrated in one package or different ones?
>
> SHOULD we use the master node for performing computational work along
> with cluster-handling?
>
> Could any of you please suggest me full software list staring from OS
> to clustering software, Message Passing Libraries, Fortran 95
> compilers and mathematical libraries, to fully establish our Beowulf
> cluster for parallel CFD computing. We would be interested in buying
> the softwares.
>
> THANKS.

Ivan S. P. Marin
Laboratório de Física Computacional