[Beowulf] SPEC CPU 2006 released

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Sun Sep 3 07:08:05 PDT 2006

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Geoff Jacobs wrote:
>
>> I should have been more specific and said that I do not believe any
>> integrated benchmarks packaged and shipped by SPEC are in any WSOF Open
>> Source or Free Software. Apparently some software included in SPECCpu
>> 2006 is in fact licensed under the GPL, including sjeng. Possibly some
>> other Free Software and OSS licenses are represented as well.
>>
>> To use the benchmark itself requires a license from SPEC.
>
> Hmmm, GPL viral?
>
> This raises a really "interesting" question about the depth at which
> open source GPL code is embedded in a tool when the viral clause kicks
> in.

You can't be serious here, Dr. Red-Green-Blue.

Gcc has been part of SPEC since, what, '95 ?

You can compile and run GPL'd code all you want - no restriction there.
  It's only when you want to distribute changed code you have have to
supply source.

Please, we've seen enough of this Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt ...

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/