[Beowulf] Has anyone actually seen/used a cell system?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 2 09:18:58 PDT 2006

Actually Gofer also compiles to C.

That automatic translation had a cost a factor 200 in speed though.

There was some claim of factor 50 (but that was based upon a
very inefficient C compiler where it worked for, namely turbo c),
supported on paper. But that was old paper. I benched it at factor 200.

Even if you work hard and get it down to factor 50, still that's a factor 50
loss
for nothing.

Cilk for example is just a few functions you can use from *inside* C code.
How is sequoia going to beat Cilk?

Just using a 'library' from within C/C++ is always better than ANL that
indirectly compiles,
thereby losing big efficiency.

Vincent