[Beowulf] onboard Gb lan: any opinion, sugestion or impression?

Scott Atchley atchley at myri.com
Tue Nov 21 05:08:32 PST 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 1:04 AM, Geoff Jacobs wrote:

> Does anyone have bandwidth and CPU utilization tips for PCI and PCIe
> busses on enthusiast motherboards? What chipsets perform well? What
> chipsets do not?
>
> --
> Geoffrey D. Jacobs

This is slightly off topic, but we have a list of motherboards with
PCI-Express slots where we test the max DMA throughput for read,
write and bidirectional (read and write). It only stresses the PCI-E
link and does not involve the network at all. We do not measure CPU
usage since it is a DMA test.

The list is at:

http://www.myri.com/scs/performance/PCIe_motherboards/

Click on a motherboard to see the DMA results as well as netperf runs
using our Ethernet only driver.

We publish this to allow potential customers to make sure that their
motherboard (if we have tested it) can sustain 10 Gb/s data rates to
and from the network.

Scott

--
Scott Atchley