[Beowulf] Core 2 Duo Bugs: Any importance in the beowulf field?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 13 16:13:37 PST 2006

good all mighty

"AI39. Cache Data Access Request from One Core Hitting a Modified Line in
the L1 Data Cache of the Other Core May Cause Unpredictable System
Behavior
When request for data from Core 1 results in a L1 cache miss, the request is
Problem:
sent to the L2 cache. If this request hits a modified line in the L1 data cache
of Core 2, certain internal conditions may cause incorrect data to be returned
to the Core 1."

with such a hardware bug you just can't garantuee parallel correctness.
my entire parallellism is based upon this.

hope they fix that chip and ship around new ones to customers.
no bios is gonna fix such a cache bug of course.