[Beowulf] Thought that this might be of interest

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Mon Nov 6 10:41:15 PST 2006

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 06:38:25PM -0500, Joe Landman wrote:
>

>> Since they wish to do it only for Intel processors, and the world
>> is decidedly mixed, this has implications on the use of Intel compilers
>> for lots of people wishing to get the best performance on all platforms
>> with a single compiler tool.  Doesn't it.
>>

> Some codes are also outliers, for example Fluent on Woodcrest does
> great, if I remember correctly.

The Fluent benchmarks need to be explained. There are basically
9 benchmarks (small, medium, and large models). On the small
and medium models the Woodcrest kicks butt on a single node
(1-4 cores) mostly due to the cache size. On some of the large
models, the Woodcrest does very well on a single node (1-4 CPUs).
But on some of the large models, the Opteron does very well.

The small and medium models are really pretty small so when
I look at more than 1 node, I look at the large models. At a
certain point, the slower Opterons become faster than Woodcrest
(both IB).

I also know one CFD app that is faster on Opteron even for one
node (1-4 CPUs).

Jeff