[Beowulf] Thought that this might be of interest

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Mon Nov 6 07:54:44 PST 2006

OK, I feel like trying this one (call me stupid if you will).

> Thanks for your info, this is very helpful.
>
> So until end 2007 the core2 annihilates any opteron system.

No!!!!!!!!! This may be true for your application, but it's not
true for all applications. I have a couple of applications where
a 2.6 GHz Opteron with beat a 3.0 GHz Woodcrest.

Another example is Fluent, where a 3.0 GHz Woodcrest kills
the Opteron on a single node or a small number of nodes.
But as you increase the number of nodes, the Opteron is faster
than the Woodcrest.

So which one is faster - Woodcrest or Opteron - really
depends on your code.

Jeff