[Beowulf] What can a HS student do with a small Beowulf?

Jess Cannata jac67 at georgetown.edu
Tue May 23 12:06:58 PDT 2006

Beowulf clusters (computational clusters) are much more useful if you
have a problem that needs a lot of processing power/time and that can be
broken apart either as a distributed or parallel job. Molecular
modeling, rendering, and protein/gene searching are some good examples
of this type of problem. There are other types of clusters such as,
high-availability web and database clusters that serve different
purposes than Beowulf clusters.

Of course, I think that there is educational value to building a test
cluster even if you have no computationally intensive jobs to run on it.
It can definitely help you to better understand Linux and its associated
packages. And who knows, it might even get you interested in parallel
programming.

Jess