[Beowulf] Cluster OpenMP

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Tue May 16 22:58:40 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:54:45AM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> SGI is still substantially faster than Infinipath - at least SGI
> talks about sub-1-us latency, and bandwidth well past 2 GB/s...

You do remember those slides I show where InfiniPath is scaling better
than Altix on some MPI applications? I didn't make them up...
microbenchmarks are not the best predictor of "substantially faster".

http://www.pathscale.com/whitepapers.html, the particular whitepaper
is the Real Applications whitepaper.

The issue with Altix is that it's a pretty complicated beast, even
when you're doing something as simple as nearest neighbor
communication in an MPI code. InfiniPath is pretty boring in
comparison. Which is a good thing when it comes to getting optimal
performance.

-- greg