[Beowulf] Mixing 32-bit compute nodes with 64-bit head nodes

Andrew D. Fant fant at pobox.com
Thu May 11 06:49:59 PDT 2006

Sean Dilda wrote:
> Andrew D. Fant wrote:
>
>> The 64-bit motivation is mostly about providing adequate memory for
>> multiple users running gui applications.
>>

> How big are the apps?  Assuming they only use one or two gigs of memory
> a piece, you should be able to have a 32-bit machine with lots of RAM.
> Or even an opteron with lots of RAM with a 32-bit OS on it.  That would
> save you from having to worry about any 32 vs 64 bit issues.

I was lead to believe that PAE on 32-bit systems was prone to causing
performance  problems.  If that isn't the case, you are certainly right.

Thanks,
	Andy

--
Andrew Fant    | And when the night is cloudy    | This space to let
Molecular Geek | There is still a light          |----------------------