[Beowulf] Bonding Ethernet cards / [was] 512 nodes Myrinet cluster Challenges

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed May 10 01:11:43 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 03:38 +0100, Krugger wrote:
> Would it not be better to split the networks physically. I mean one
> network( + routers) for the NFS (basically for remote IO) and the
> other network(+ routers) for the interprocess comunications
This is a very common configuration for our clusters.
Most motherboards these days come with dual on-board gigabit.
One is used for general cluster traffic and NFS.
the other is dedicated to MPI traffic, using a separate switch or
stack of switches.
(The normal MPI implementation is the low-latency SCore)

On machines with separate service processors (for example Sun Galaxy)
we put in Netgear 10/100 switches and cabling for a management network.
With Serial Over LAN we don't have any need for serial console cabling
any more.